10 REASONS WHY I WOULD FALSELY ACCUSE SOMEONE OF INCEST OR SEXUAL ABUSE
I needed a new reason to stay in therapy or I would have to leave.
2. I wanted to suddenly start having tremendous difficulty in relating to my partner, lose all my trust & alienate him/her to the point where we would begin fighting constantly and then have to break up.
3. I decided, for a change of pace, I would begin to experience bouts of intense suicidality.
4. I thought it would be a good idea to experience, first hand, what a mental institution or prison was like.
5. I wanted to get back at my parents/grandparents for all the loving, supportive, caring things they had done to me as a child.
6. I wanted to be disbelieved and called a “liar” by every “respected” newspaper, talk show and radio interviewer, “expert”, “scholar”, lawyer, “friend”, and family member.
7. I felt left out and wanted to desperately belong somewhere.
8. I got worried that my self-esteem was too healthy and thought I’d like to rectify the situation.
9. I wanted to be different, special, and get lots of attention by breaking down and becoming incapable of taking care of myself.
10. I wanted to wake up in the middle of the night screaming in terror, unable to breathe, re-experiencing over and over again the times I was raped as a child.
*Loosely re-created from a flyer done by FIST (fabulous incest survivor’s Tirade) during the Examiner’s “false-memory syndrome” series. Done by Jezanna Rainforest
From the handouts of The Sexual Assault Center.